Do you know K/DA, the most influential virtual K-pop girl band? You want to know all about Ahri; Akali; Evelynn and Kai'Sa? Do you want to know the secrets of the group behind the music of the famous game League of Legend?
Welcome to KoreanxWear, we love K-pop and will answer your questions about K/DA.
K/DA is a 4-member virtual South Korean K-pop girlband: Ahri; Evelyn; Akali and Kai'Sa having debuted in 2018 with the song Pop/Stars. The members are champions from the online multiplayer game League of Legends.
In this article, we will see:
- K/DA's musical history and girl band debut
- Music and band members
- The future of the Riot Games group
You want a dose of this, right now it's K/DA uh!
The characteristics of K/DA
- Name: K/DA
- Start date: November 4, 2018
- Label: Riot Games
- Music Style: Pop; K-Pop; R&B; EDM; hip hop
- Members: Ahri; Akali; Kai'Sa and Evelynn
- Album: All Out (EP - 2020)
- Fandom: BLADES
History of the most famous virtual group
From left to right: Kai'Sa; Ahri; Akali and Evelynn
K/DA is a reference to the multiplayer online game, League of Legends from which are taken: Ahri; Evelynn, Akali and Kai'Sa, the four female members. This one meaning “Kills/Deaths Assits”, this term is an expression known in the gaming community referring to the stats of a player during a game.
The concept of creating the group was born out of a desire by Riot Games, the game's developer, to create more musical content with characters based on K-Pop archetypes. Originally, the girl band was created for the promotion of the 2018 world championship of the game and the sale of skins of the latter in game.
November 4, 2018 marks the debut of the group with the release of an MV named POP/STARS featuring the champions of the game. After the screen, it is during the opening ceremony of the League final of Legends World Championship 2018 in Incheon, South Korea, which American singers Madison Beer and Jaira Burns with Miyeon and Soyeon of South Korean group (G)I-dle performed "POP/STARS" on stage alongside live versions. augmented reality of the champions of the game they play.
From left to right: Jaira Burns (Kai'Sa); Soyeon (Akali); Madison Beer (Evelynn) and Miyeon (Ahri) at the 2018 League of Legends World Championship
An MV of the song on Youtube then went viral, surpassing 100 million views in a month and reaching 497 million views in February 2022. This one topped Billboard's worldwide digital song sales chart. In 2020, it is the release of an EP in 2020 entitled All Out including 5 new songs including the pre-release single The Baddest. Their debut single More then received an MV which gained over 140 million views in February 2022.
K/DA subsequently gained significant popularity both within and beyond the League of Legends community; the band received critical and fan acclaim, especially for their performances at the World Championship and the game's impact on the music scene.
K/DA Group Members
The group is made up of four popular League of Legends world champions, who were reintroduced by Riot to a wider audience as members of a pop fantasy group.
The developer was heavily inspired by K-pop bands where each member has a unique personality so fans can relate to one of the members better than certain K-Pop archetypes. Among the female groups that served as inspiration for the creation of K/DA, we can mention 4Minute with this “girl crush” genre.
Each of the champions also represents an archetype found in bands. Ahri is the beautiful and charming leader; Evelynn, the wild and provocative diva; Akali is the rebellious spirit of the band. As for Kai'Sa, she is the strong and silent loner, who expresses herself through her movements on stage.
For the voice of each of the members, it is the voice of a real person who is behind. For their first mini album, Riot Games called on the original voices (Jaira Burns; Soyeon & Miyeon (G)I-dle; Madison Beer) as well as other artists (Bea Miller; Lexie Liu; Twice, …) .
Ahri, the queen
- Name: Ahri (아리)
- Date of birth: December 14, 1994
- Voice: Miyeon (G)I-dle
- Position(s): lead singer; leader; visual
3 facts about Ahri:
- One of his nicknames is gumiho
- It was she who created the group with Evelynn, which makes them the two co-founders
- His astrological sign is sagittarius
Evelynn, the diva
- Name: Evelynn (이블린)
- Date of birth: May 1, 1993
- Voice: Madison Beer (Pop/Stars & More) | Bea Miller (The Baddest)
- Position(s): Lead singer; eonnie
3 facts about Evelynn:
- Her fan base is called Deeva
- She is known as Demanding Diva
- Evelynn has two hit singles named Agony's Embrace and Ecstasy
Kai'Sa, the dancer
- Name: Kai'Sa (카이사)
- Date of birth: March 7, 1996
- Voice: Jaira Burns (Pop/Stars & More) | Wolftyla (The Baddest)
- Position(s): Principal Dancer; vocalist; choreographer
3 facts about Kai'Sa:
- She spends hours creating choreography for K/DA because she believes every step should represent vulnerability and power.
- 小笼包 (Soup dumpling) is one of his nicknames
- According to Ahri, she is the dreamer of the group
Akali, the rebel
- Name: Akali (아칼리)
- Date of birth: May 11, 1997
- Voice: Soyeon (G)I-dle
- Position(s): Lead Rapper; maknae; vocalist
3 facts about Akali:
- She is of the Chinese zodiac sign of the ox.
- Akali can speak Korean; english and japanese
- Her style and unruly hair make her a fan favorite of the band.
The group's fandom is named BLADES; translating to “blades” in French
- POP/STARS [First Digital Single] - November 4, 2018
- THE BADDEST [1st Pre-release] - August 27, 2020
- MORE [2nd Pre-release] - October 28, 2020
- ALL OUT [Mini album] - November 6, 2020 [feat Seraphine]
3 essential music of the group
The song that marked the band's debut in 2018. In 2021, the title is certified gold and in 2022, the MV has more than 500 million views on Youtube
A performance at the opening ceremony in augmented reality where the singers performed with the champions of the game they interpret, a song with American-Korean lyrics that wowed fans with the vocal exploits of the girls.
The second pre-release before the release of their first mini album, All out is a success that delighted fans
The future of K/DA
In this article, we have seen that the K/DA group consists of 4 ambitious and very promising artists who have already achieved big international successes under the Riot Games label. K/DA exploded onto the music scene with their POP/STARS hit and standout style. “Our songs are there to remind you to always stay true to yourself,” says Ahri. The latter hope to soon have the opportunity to present their music to the whole world during a tour.
Who could have predicted that K/DA would go this far? From an ambitious project to promote the game and skins championship to real pop stars with a gold record certification for their POP/STARS title and fashionista with a collaboration with the luxury brand, Louis Vuitton in 2020.
K/DA certified, gold record in 2021
From left to right: Akali; Seraphine (guest artist); Kai’Sa; Evelyn & Ahri - K/DA and Louis Vuitton collaboration in 2020
Do you think this group will still have a great future in the world of K-pop?
Thank you for reading this article, we are waiting for your reactions in the comments. You can join us on Instagram @koreanxwear to follow our news.